Baked Chicken Parmesan
Learn how to make Chicken Parmesan in the oven, no frying here!
I love making baked versions of foods that are usually fried. They’re usually healthier than the original, and popping a pan of something into an oven is always easier than standing over a fryer or frying pan.
I first made this recipe for Crispy Baked Chicken Wings over a year ago and it’s one of my absolute go-to’s still. From the number of comments on that post, I think you guys like it as well. I think you’re going to like today’s recipe for Baked Chicken Parmesan just as much.
We’ve actually killed two birds with one stone in this recipe by both simplifying the chicken breading process and also by baking the chicken. It’s healthier than the original and is much less of a fuss to make.
You’re going to pound some chicken breasts flat (or buy your chicken already in flattened cutlet form). Then you slip it into a mixture of egg whites and Dijon mustard and then into some seasoned breadcrumbs. Critically, the breadcrumbs are mixed with a bit of oil which is going to help the browning in the oven. Find out more about making baked breaded chicken cutlets over here.
You then bake the chicken until it’s cooked through and crispy. Top it with some tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese, put it back into the oven for a few minutes to get it melted, sprinkle with a garnish of Parmesan, and you’re done. Easy, right?
Baked Chicken Parmesan
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 4 - 6oz. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 ¼ cups plain breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut chicken breasts in half and pound to equal 1/4 inch thickness.
- In small shallow bowl or pie plate, combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, vegetable oil, thyme, salt and ground pepper.
- In another shallow bowl combine egg whites and Dijon mustard.
- Dredge chicken in egg mixture then the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place chicken on a wire rack set on a baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining chicken and then bake until cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Top each with 1/4 cup tomato sauce and 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Bake until cheese is melted and sauce is heated through, 5-7 minutes.
- Garnish with more Parmesan cheese. Serve.