Ooey Gooey Caramel Apple Nachos
Sliced apples and a homemade caramel sauce make a delicious version of nachos. Caramel Apple Nachos. We dare you to resist that!
Is there anything better than apples dipped in caramel? How about apples dripping with drizzled caramel? Oh man!
I couldn’t resist putting a spin on caramel apples with these yummy Caramel Apple Nachos. They make a great after-school snack for the kiddos or a plate to pass at any fall gathering.
Layers of sliced apples are topped with easy, creamy homemade caramel sauce and sprinkled with chopped nuts. Any topping is fair game so go ahead and sprinkle with chopped chocolate, peanut butter chips or even M&M’s.
Nothing, and I mean nothing, beats a homemade caramel sauce. The ingredients are simple and the sauce comes together in no time. But wow is it ever the most decadent, thick and creamy caramel you’ve ever tasted. It’s so good you’ll eat it with a spoon. Promise.
You’ll only need about ½ cup to drizzle over the apples, so go ahead and serve some on the side for any caramel apple dunkers who find that a drizzle is never enough.
Ooey Gooey Caramel Apple Nachos with Easy Homemade Caramel Sauce
Yield: 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Caramel sauce (makes 1 cup)*
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. fleur de sel or coarse salt (optional)
- 1 ½ lbs. firm apples, any variety
- 1/2 of a lemon, juiced
- ½ cup homemade caramel sauce
- ¼ cup chopped unsalted dry roasted peanuts
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add in brown sugar and stir until dissolved. Whisk in cream and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce sauce to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes stirring frequently until sauce is smooth and creamy.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Allow sauce to cool slightly before transferring to a jar or small bowl. Sauce will thicken as it cools.
- For salted caramel, stir in salt when caramel is removed from heat. Once cool, cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- To reheat, place caramel sauce in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 20-30 seconds at a time, stirring in between, until creamy. Drizzle over any dessert.
- Core and slice apples about ½-inch thick. Lightly toss apples in lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Arrange a single layer of sliced apples on a 10-inch serving dish. Drizzle with a third of the caramel sauce and sprinkle with a third of the chopped nuts. Repeat layer twice. Serve immediately.