Classic Chicken Parmesan
Get our recipe for the classic dish that everyone loves, Chicken Parmesan. It’s easy to make and we have lots of great tips for making it better than ever.
The key to amazing Chicken Parmesan is to have amazing chicken cutlets and amazing sauce. To that end, we started our Chicken Parmesan series with a post on how to make chicken cutlets and a post about making your own homemade tomato sauce. Once you have those things down, you’re more than halfway to perfection. All of the instructions for making Classic Chicken Parmesan are in the printable recipe below but do check out those other two posts, and our full Chicken Parmesan series, for more pointers and tips.
What you’re going to do is pound some chicken breasts flat and then bread them. Once breaded, you pan-fry them to a crunchy golden brown and then finish cooking them in the oven, just for a short time.
After the chicken is cooked, you top it with tomato sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese. It goes back into the oven to melt the cheese and heat the sauce. Sprinkle everything with lots of shredded Parmesan cheese and dig in!
Classic Chicken Parmesan
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 and 1/4 cups plain breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese plus ¼ cup
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 - 6oz. skinless and boneless chicken breasts (or 4 chicken cutlets)
- vegetable oil
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut chicken breasts in half horizontally to create cutlets. Pound to 1/4 inch thickness.
- In small shallow bowl or pie plate, combine breadcrumbs, thyme, 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and and the black pepper. In another shallow bowl crack eggs and beat to combine. In another bowl add flour.
- Moisten chicken lightly with water. Dredge chicken in flour, then eggs, then the breadcrumb mixture. Place chicken on plate and repeat with the rest of the chicken.
- In a large skillet add enough vegetable oil to cover 1/8 inch. Heat skillet over medium until shimmering. Add two chicken cutlets and cook until brown, about 1 and 1/2 minutes per side. Transfer to a wire rack lined baking sheet. Add more oil to the skillet and repeat cooking the other two breasts.
- Transfer chicken, wire rack and pan to oven. Bake until cooked through and firm, 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to the pan, set wire rack aside. Top chicken with tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. Bake until cheese is melted and sauce is hot, 5 minutes.
- Garnish with remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese. Serve.