Creamy Farro and Spinach
Farro is so healthy and good for you that you can splurge a bit when eating it. This recipe is made creamy with cream cheese. Yum!
This is the last farro recipe in our Farro Series. I therefore wanted it to be pretty special. When I think special, I think cheese. And so a cheesey recipe was born. This one has cream cheese in it.
To make this farro side dish you cook some farro. Then you mix it with cream cheese and chopped fresh spinach (you can totally use defrosted frozen spinach instead if you want). Stir it up, add some salt and pepper, and you’re done!
Hint: This dish isn’t only special because it’s tasty but because it’s so easy too. Gotta love that!
If you want to learn more about Farro, we’ve got the scoop over here. If you can’t find farro at your grocery store (not all stores carry it), you can order it online. This one from Bob’s Red Mill is really great.
Have a great day!
Simple Farro Recipe with Cream Cheese and Spinach
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 and 1/2 cups uncooked farro
- 4 cups water, stock or a mixture of both
- 1 cup packed fresh spinach, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. cream cheese or 1/3 fat cream cheese
- black pepper
- Measure the farro into a fine mesh sieve and rinse with cold water. Drain.
- Transfer farro to a medium sized pot that has a lid. Add the water or stock and ¼ teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 25-30 minutes, until it is softened but still chewy. If there is liquid remaining in the pot, drain it off or save it to add to a soup, stew or sauce.
- While the farro is still hot, stir in the spinach, cream cheese and a pinch of salt and of pepper. Taste. Add more salt and pepper to taste.