Grilled Strawberry Shortcake with Basil Whipped Cream
Those there are some grilled strawberries nestled in basil-infused whipped cream. The shortcake part is grilled too. Can you say, Summertime? Mmmhmm.
It’s true, I’m obsessed with how good basil and strawberries are together. We told you that they are delicious together over here: 10 Surprising Things That Go With Basil. Then we gave you a recipe for Strawberry Basil Frozen Yogurt. And now, today, I’m going a step further with this grilled strawberry shortcake. You grill the strawberries too before topping it all with a basil-infused whipped cream. Yeah. I know.
You are going to love it. LOVE it.
Grilled Strawberry Shortcake
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 and ½ cups whipping cream
- 1/3 cup packed chopped fresh basil
- Rind of 1 lemon, removed in strips
- 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar (confectioner’s sugar)
- a 1 lb package of Driscoll’s strawberries (about 24), hulled
- 6 skewers
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 12 oz. Angel Food Cake (store-bought or homemade)
- At least four hours before serving, combine the whipping cream, basil and lemon rind in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until warm, 1 to 1 and ½ minutes. Stir. Refrigerate until very cold, at least 4 hours. Strain and refrigerate cream for up to 24 hours.
- Use a stand mixer or egg beater at medium speed to whip the cream for 2-3 minutes. Add the powdered sugar. Whip until soft peaks form, 4-6 minutes more. Refrigerate until serving.
- Prepare grill for direct cooking over medium heat. Cut angle food cake into 6 wedges.
- Thread 4 strawberries onto each skewer. Drizzle each skewer of strawberries with 1 teaspoon of honey. Use a brush or fingers to spread it around and coat berries.
- Transfer berry skewers and angel food cake to the grill. Grill on one side until grill marks appear, 1-2 minutes. Flip and grill until grill marks appear on the other side, 1-2 minutes more. Remove from grill.
- Serve each slice of angel food cake with a skewer of grilled strawberries and about ½ cup of whipped cream.