Hot Chocolate in the Slow Cooker
Rich. Decadent. Hot. Steamy and soooo easy. Learn how to make a big batch of hot chocolate for a crowd in your slow cooker.
When you want to make a big batch of hot chocolate the last thing you want is to have to stand at the stove stirring for ages. Using the slow cooker takes all that stir-time out of it. And it makes a pretty darned good hot chocolate too. This recipe is particularly luxurious because it has both whipping cream and sweetened condensed milk in the mix. Thick, creamy and delicious.
Here’s what you do: Measure whipping cream, sweetened condensed milk, milk and chocolate chips into the slow cooker. I used my Hamilton Beach 6 Quart Slow Cooker. A pinch of salt, some vanilla and an optional cinnamon stick or two go in as well. Then you put it on low for at least 2 hours. Every 30 minutes or so give it a stir and then cover it back up again. Give it a good whisking and it’s ready to serve.
Sometimes a thin layer of chocolate doesn’t fully incorporate on the top. That’s fine. No worries.
After the two hours on low, you can set the slow cooker to a warm setting, if your machine has one. It will keep it at a really warm drinking temperature for hours so you can go back for more. And more. And more.
Looking for a bit of variety? Try adding these to your hot chocolate to make it extra special:
- Substitute 1 cup of butterscotch chips for 1 cup of dark chocolate chips
- Use white chocolate chips
- Use milk chocolate chips
- Add a dash of peppermint extract
- Add caramel chewy candies and sprinkle mugs with salt
- Add a chili pepper in the pot with extra cinnamon sticks
- Serve with a side of raspberry liqueur
Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate
Yield: 10-12 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours 5 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 8 cups milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 cups dark chocolate chips
- 2 cinnamon sticks (optional)
- Add all ingredients into slow cooker and whisk until combined. Cook on low and stir occasionally. Cook until chocolate chips are melted and beverage is hot, about 2 hours. Whisk again to really combine.
- Ladle into mugs and top with marshmallows.