- 2 ½ lbs. Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2–3/4 inch dice
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- ¼ cup milk, heated
- Place cut potatoes in pot filled with cold water. Add salt. Turn heat to high and cover slightly. Once boiling uncover and drop heat to a simmer. Cook until you can pierce potatoes easily with a fork, about 15 minutes.
- Strain potatoes and place back into the pot. Cook over medium heat while stirring until the potatoes are dry, about 1-2 minutes. Take off heat.
- Add butter and mash. Once mashed stir in heated milk. Taste and season with salt.
- Serve immediately or cover with foil to keep warm.