Air Fryer Bang Bang Shrimp is a super delicious Bonefish Grill copycat recipe. This sweet and spicy shrimp dish makes a great party appetizer or dinner entrée.
If you’ve ever been to Bonefish Grill, you’re probably familiar with their Bang Bang Shrimp. I don’t think I know anyone who can go there without getting an order for the table. The crispy shrimp are tossed in a creamy sweet and spicy sauce that will have you licking your fingers. It’s very similar to the rock shrimp served at some of my favorite sushi restaurants.
Sadly, our local restaurant recently closed which meant I needed to figure out how to make these shrimp at home. On the plus side, now that I know how to make them, I can have them any time I want – and so can you!
How To Air Fry Shrimp
I love using my air fryer to make recipes like this since it means I don’t need to deal with a big pot of hot oil. Air frying shrimp gets them just as browned and crispy as more traditional cooking methods, but since the temperature is regulated it isn’t as likely to burn. Plus your house won’t get that gross hot oil smell.
Wet batter doesn’t hold up well in air fryers, so you’ll want to bread the shrimp with panko breadcrumbs. First, dust raw shrimp with flour. Then dip it in egg. Next, press it into panko bread crumbs until it’s coated well. Finally, a spritz of cooking spray will help the shrimp brown in the air fryer and will give them a little more of a fried shrimp taste.
Cook the shrimp at 370°F for 12-14 minutes, giving the basket a firm shake about halfway through the cooking process to make sure they cook evenly. Be sure to cut into a shrimp or two to make sure they’re fully cooked inside before you serve them.
What Makes Bang Bang Sauce So Good?
Bang Bang Sauce has the perfect balance of sweet, tangy, and spicy flavors. It’s so addictive.
The secret is using Thai sweet chili sauce. This sauce has a decent kick on it’s own, but for the most authentic taste add some sriracha as well. You can easily add more or less sriracha depending on how spicy you like things.Print
- 1 lb. raw peeled shrimp, thawed if frozen
- ½ cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sweet chili sauce
- ¼ tsp. sriracha
- Set up a breading station by filling a shallow bowl with flour. Add the eggs to a second bowl and whisk them well. Then add the breadcrumbs to a third bowl.
- Dip each shrimp in the flour, coating it well. Shake off the excess flour, then dip into the egg. Finally, press the shrimp into the bread crumbs, coating the shrimp as thoroughly as you can. Repeat with the remaining shrimp.
- Spritz the shrimp with cooking oil.
- Working in batches if necessary, add the shrimp to your air fryer basket. Cook at 370°F for 12-14 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- While the shrimp cook, make the sauce. In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sweet chili sauce, and sriracha until combined. Taste and add more sriracha if desired.
- Toss the shrimp with the Bang Bang Sauce and serve hot.