The air fryer is perfect when you want to make better-for-you Buffalo Wings for just a few people. The air fryer takes them from a game day treat to something you can enjoy any day.
You’ve gotta know that we love our wings over here on TheCookful. It’s crazy how many chicken wing recipes we have. Our #1 reader favorite is this one that gets you oven-baked wings as crispy as deep-fried. That recipe is wonderful if you’re feeding a crowd because you can do several pans of wings in the oven at the same time. For your next big game day party, that’s what I’d recommend, hands down!
But if you want to cook fewer wings, like enough for 2-3 people, then the air fryer is the way to go. You get crispy wings in no time. Cook them, sauce them with a delicious homemade Buffalo sauce (or use store-bought) and you’ll be licking your fingers off in no time.
If you buy whole wings from the grocery store, here’s a tutorial for how to cut them into the pieces you are likely more familiar with from sports bars.
Then it’s time to cook them. Here’s what you do!
How to Make Buffalo Wings in the Air Fryer
After you’ve cut the wings, preheat the air fryer to 360°F. Coat the wings in olive oil. You can either drizzle it on them and then rub it all over, or use an oil sprayer like this. Then season them with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Put the wings into the air fryer basket uglier-side-up. Why? You want the wings to finish cooking with their nicer-side-up so that the top side, the side you’re most likely to have facing up when serving, is more browned and crunchy. So you start with the ugly side facing up and then flip them after awhile. Make sense?
Cook them ugly-side-up for 12 minutes. Then flip them and cook for another 12 minutes. If you’re making your own Buffalo Sauce, now’s the time to do it.
After the second 12 minutes, increase the heat on the air fryer to 400°F and then cook them for another 6 minutes. During that last 6 minutes, put your sauce into a medium-sized bowl.
When the wings are done, transfer them to the bowl of sauce and toss them to coat. Serve immediately. Yum!Print
- Remove chicken wings from refrigerator.
- Preheat air fryer to 360°F.
- Coat chicken on all sides with olive oil.
- Sprinkle on all sides with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Put chicken in air fryer basket, uglier-side-up. Cook 12 minutes.
- Flip chicken wings and cook for another 12minutes.
- Increase temperature to 400°F and cook until crisp and internal temperature on an instant read thermometer is 165°F, 5-6 more minutes.
- Put the Buffalo sauce into a medium-sized bowl.
- Remove chicken from basket and put in the bowl with the sauce. Toss to coat and serve immediately.