What’s better than chicken fajitas? Chicken fajita kebabs made in the air fryer! It’s the easiest, fastest way to get chicken fajitas on the table. These skewers cook in just 8 minutes in the air fryer, and the chicken is juicy, while the peppers are slightly charred.
The air fryer may not be the first appliance you think of in the summer months, but it should be. It’s the best way to cook food quickly without heating up the house with the oven or standing over a hot grill. Just make sure you don’t over-crowd the air fryer basket – there are different sizes so the amount of batches you will need to cook the kebabs in will vary from air fryer to air fryer.
How do you make the kebabs?
So, the first thing you’ll want to do is make sure you have kebab skewers that fit inside your air fryer. Mini wooden skewers work really well. Soak them in water for at least 20 minutes first to reduce risk of catching fire in the air fryer.
I like to use chicken thighs because they are juicier and more flavorful but feel free to use chicken breast instead if you like.
Because traditional fajitas are usually made with peppers and onions, we chose to alternate chunks of chicken with onion and red and green bell peppers.
How should you serve chicken fajita kebabs?
It’s a fajita but it’s a kebab all at the same time. Really, does it get any better than that? I don’t think so. This means you can serve it as a fajita or as a kebab. Either way you choose, go as simple or as extravagant as you want with your toppings. I like to add creaminess with sour cream and a bit of spice and tang with salsa. Then I garnish with vegetables like chopped tomatoes and chopped cilantro to add some fresh flavor.Print
- 15–20 small wooden skewers
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1 lb. chicken thighs, skinless & boneless, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 white onion, cut into wedges
- 1 red pepper, cut into wedges
- 1 green pepper, cut into wedges
- Flour tortillas, for serving
- Chopped tomato
- Sour cream
- Chopped cilantro
- Shredded cheese
- Soak wooden skewers in water for about 20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix together lime juice, olive oil, oregano, garlic powder, salt and black pepper. Add chicken and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Grease air fryer basket with oil and preheat air fryer to 400°F for a few minutes to get it hot.
- Thread chicken, peppers and onion onto skewers. Start with chicken then add onion and peppers. Repeat with remaining ingredients and skewers.
- Spray finished skewers with cooking spray or use an oil sprayer like this.
- Working in batches so you don’t crowd the air fryer, cook skewers at 400°F for 8 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Repeat with remaining skewers.
- Serve with flour tortillas and desired toppings.