You can make your favorite mac and cheese appetizer at home and cut the grease at the same time. These Air Fryer Mac and Cheese Bites are the way to go.
If you’re looking for a super-fun appetizer that features everyone’s favorite meal, aka mac and cheese – look no further. If you’re looking for a way to use up some leftover mac and cheese – look no further. And if you’re mac and cheese obsessed and want to eat it in all possible shapes and forms – look no further – although you totally need to check out all the delicious mac and cheese recipes we’ve got.
Air Fryer Mac and Cheese Bites are your answer to all those questions and more. These little morsels start out with the Best Stovetop Mac and Cheese recipe. They are crunchy on the outside and stuffed with creamy mac and cheese on the inside. Is there anything better? They look pretty fancy, but it’s as easy as chilling mac and cheese (or using leftovers.), dipping them into an egg wash and coating them with breadcrumbs.
Then the air fryer will get them golden and crunchy – without actually frying them. Delicious on their own, even better dipped in ranch. If you don’t have one, what are you waiting for? We love this one.
Breadcrumb tip: Use panko bread crumbs instead of just regular breadcrumbs. You’ll end up with a crunchier coating. It’s far superior.
Air fryer tip: Make sure to spray the bites well with an oil mister or cooking spray. (An oil mister like this is our first choice, but cooking spray works in a pinch.)Print
- 1 recipe Best Stovetop Mac and Cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp. salt
- Oil mister or cooking spray
- Prepare macaroni and cheese and pour into a square or rectangular pan or storage container. Let chill in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours, or overnight.
- Grease air fryer basket with oil and preheat air fryer for a few minutes to get it hot.
- Cut chilled mac and cheese into one inch cubes. If you’re using the entire recipe of the stove top mac and cheese, you should end up with about 32. If you are making it with leftovers, you’ll have less.
- Mix together panko, parmesan cheese and salt on a large plate.
- Gently roll macaroni bites in egg wash until coated and then roll in panko mixture, making sure all sides have a panko coating.
- Spray bites with cooking spray or oil mister to help them get crispy.
- Working in batches so you don’t crowd the air fryer, cook bites at 400°F. for 8 minutes.
- Remove from the air fryer and immediately season with salt to taste.
- Repeat with remaining bites.