Air Fryer Philly Cheesesteak Rolls have all the delicious flavors of this Philly favorite in a handheld appetizer.
I’ve been going a bit nuts with egg roll wrappers lately. I discovered how versatile they are when using them to make quick mozzarella sticks. From there, I’ve been putting all kinds of things inside of them.
I really like cooking these egg-roll-wrapped things in the air fryer too. I just put a little bit of oil or cooking spray on the outside of the rolls. Then they go into the air fryer for 6 minutes and they come out golden brown and crunchy on the outside, and the filling is hot on the inside.
To make these Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls, you put ingredients in the filling that you find in (some versions) of Philly Cheesesteaks. I put some cooked beef, sauteed bell peppers, mushrooms, and onions, and some American cheese.
Put those ingredients into the egg roll wrapper, and then roll it up. Find out how to roll egg rolls over here, or just have a look at how I rolled the mozzarella sticks in this image here.
Then go in with a bit of oil or cooking spray on the outside and put them into the air fryer for 6 minutes. There’s no need to flip them over or anything. Just leave them in there.
Before I sign off, I want to say that this recipe came about because I was making cheesesteaks and had leftovers. It occurred to me to try putting them in the egg roll wrappers. I think that once you give this a try, you’ll realize that all kinds of leftovers can go in these wrappers to make a really tasty snack.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 small onion, sliced
- 2 mushrooms, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 6 egg roll wrappers
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1/4 cup cooked sliced beef
- 3 slices American cheese
- Cooking spray
- Sriracha mayo or ranch dressing
- In a medium skillet heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the bell pepper, onion, and mushrooms. Cook until softened, 4-6 minutes. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Lay an egg roll wrapper on a large plate or cutting board with a point pointing toward you. It will look like a diamond shape. Moisten the edges lightly with the water.
- Lay 1/6 of the beef along the egg roll wrapper in the middle lengthwise from the left corner toward the right corner. Top with 1/2 of a slice of cheese and 1/6 of the bell pepper mixture.
- Fold the filling into the egg roll wrapper like a burrito: Starting with the corner that is pointed toward you, fold the corner up and over the cheese so that it is almost touching the opposite corner. Now you have a triangle with the filling running along inside the base of the triangle.
- Fold the two side corners in and over the sides of the filling.
- Roll the filling in the rest of the way up, keeping the side corners tucked in, to the remaining corner.
- Make sure the edges are sealed.
- Repeat the above with the remaining egg roll wrappers and filling.
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F.
- Lightly spray all sides of the egg rolls with cooking spray.
- Arrange rolls in a single layer in the basket of the air fryer with as much room between them as possible.
- Cook until browned in places and crunchy, 6-7 minutes. Serve with Sriracha mayo or ranch for dipping.