Air Fryer Southwest Egg Rolls are a copycat Cheesecake Factory recipe. Now that we’re showing you how to make them you can have them anytime the craving hits.
Yup. You can totally enjoy Cheesecake Factory Tex Mex Egg Rolls without leaving the house. This copycat version is made a little healthier because they are fried in the air fryer instead of deep fried in oil. If you use a rotisserie chicken these egg rolls come together even faster.
Where can you find egg roll wrappers?
You can find them in most stores, either in produce, the Asian food refrigerator aisle, or sometimes near the sushi department. They are raw and made with flour, egg, and water so they have a short shelf life. This recipe makes approximately 4-5 egg rolls. However, there are many wrappers in one package, so you can make several batches if you wish. You could also make up a batch of our Air Fryer Egg Rolls with coleslaw and pork. I promise you’ll love them too.
What are Southwest egg rolls made of?
Southwest egg rolls are not traditional egg rolls. They are made with cooked chicken, shredded cheddar cheese, onion, corn, black beans, red bell pepper, and spices like cumin, chili powder, and salt.
How do you roll egg rolls?
Lay down an egg roll wrapper, place about 2-3 tablespoons of filling in the center of the wrapper. Wet corners of the wrapper with water. Alternatively, you can make a slurry of water and cornstarch as this also works great to seal the edges of the wrapper. Fold the bottom corner to cover the filling, fold the sides in, roll the egg roll upright, fold the top corner, and close tightly. Try not to over fill the wrapper since it will be harder to roll.
Can you eat an egg roll that was left out overnight?
These egg rolls are made with perishable ingredients so they are not safe to eat if you leave them at room temperature. They taste best freshly made but you can store them up to several days in the refrigerator and reheat them. They will not stay crispy unless you heat them up in the oven or air fryer.
The quickest way to heat them up is in the air fryer. Put them in the air fryer at 350°F for approximately 6 minutes, cooking on each side 2-3 minutes. At that point, check the center with an instant read thermometer to make sure they are reheated to a safe temperature of 145°F or higher.
How do you cook the egg rolls?
Spray the prepared egg rolls with cooking spray or an oil sprayer. You can also brush them generously with oil. Lightly coating them with oil ensures they will be crispy and lightly browned. Set the air fryer at 400°F, place egg rolls in the basket, and cook for 4 minutes. You will likely be able to fit 4-5 egg rolls in the basket without touching, depending on the size of your air fryer. Flip them over and cook for another 4 minutes. Alternatively, you can set the temperature for 380°F but the cooking time will be longer – about 5-6 minutes for each side.
What condiments should you serve?
These Southwest Egg Rolls taste the best with salsa. You can make your own Instant Pot Salsa or buy it at the store. They are also really tasty with avocado cream, which you can make at home with avocado, sour cream, cilantro, and lime.Print
- 2 tsp. cooking oil
- 2 Tbsp. chopped white onion
- 3/4 cup cooked shredded chicken
- 3 Tbsp. black beans
- 3 Tbsp. cooked corn
- 3 Tbsp. red bell pepper
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cooking spray
- Heat oil in saucepan. Add chopped onion and cook on medium heat for 2 minutes, mixing often.
- Add chicken, black beans, corn, red bell pepper, cumin, chili powder, and salt. Heat through.
- Remove from heat, add cheddar cheese, and mix together.
- Lay down an egg roll wrapper and place about 2-3 tablespoons of the filling in the center of the wrapper. Wet corners of the wrapper with water. Fold the bottom corner to cover the filling, then fold the sides in. Roll the egg roll upright and fold the top corner over then close tightly. You should have about 4-5 egg rolls, but remember not to overfill each wrapper.
- Spray egg rolls generously with cooking spray or brush with oil. Place egg rolls in the basket of the air fryer. Set the temperature to 400°F and the time for 4 minutes. After cooking for that amount of time, flip the egg rolls and cook another 4 minutes.