There’s a divot in an avocado half for a reason. The hole is for the dip! Here we fill it with a spicy cocktail sauce and pile on some shrimp.
That little crater in the center of an avocado just plain begs to be filled with something. For this recipe, we’ve filled it with a cocktail sauce and served shrimp on the side. It’s a really fun twist on the classic shrimp cocktail. Give it some love! 🙂Print
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- ¼–½ tsp. strong prepared horseradish*
- ⅛ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. chili powder
- 2 ripe avocados, each cut in half with pit removed
- 20 cooked, peeled tail-on extra large shrimp (that’s about 3/4 lb. of 26/30 count shrimp)
- tortilla chips, for serving
- In a small bowl combine the ketchup, lime juice, horseradish, cumin, and chili powder.
- Place an avocado half onto each of 4 plates, cut side up. Spoon a tablespoon or so of the ketchup sauce into the whole left by the pit in each avocado half.
- Surround each avocado half with 5 of the shrimp. Serve with tortilla chips.
*In my experience, the horseradish that is sold in the refrigerated section near the refrigerated pickles is much better (more potent and more flavor) than the horseradish that is sold at room temperature.