If you don’t want to fry chicken, don’t worry. Here’s a method for baked chicken cutlets that gives you a crispy crust and juicy meat inside.
Here at The Cookful we’re in the middle of a series on chicken Parmesan. Chicken cutlets form the basis of a good chicken Parmesan so yesterday we showed you how to bread and cook chicken cutlets in the traditional way. This involved breading the chicken using flour, egg and breadcrumbs and then frying it.
Today, we’ve got a leaner baked version of chicken cutlets. These use egg whites mixed with dijon mustard to get the breadcrumbs to stick. So you’re skipping the flour and the egg yolks here. The browning of the chicken happens because you mix a small amount of oil with the breadcrumbs. When they get into the hot oven, the oil lightly toasts the crumbs. There’s also some Parmesan cheese mixed with the breadcrumbs. This cheese crisps up a bit and gives some extra crunch along with flavor.
Before you get started on these cutlets, do have a look at the traditional fried chicken cutlet method. Not to find out how to fry the cutlets (you’re baking yours, right?) but to get tips on pounding chicken flat. There’s lots of good info on the steps involved.
Once you’ve got these chicken cutlets down, there are so many things you can do with them. Our focus is chicken Parmesan right now though. See all of our chicken parm fun over here. There’s recipes, how to’s and so much more.
- 4 – 6oz. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 and 1/4 cups plain breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Pound chicken breasts to equal 1/4 inch thickness.
- In small shallow bowl or pie plate, combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, vegetable oil, thyme, salt and ground pepper.
- In another shallow bowl combine egg whites and Dijon mustard.
- Dredge chicken in egg mixture then the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place chicken on a wire rack set on a baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining chicken and then bake until cooked through and crispy, about 20-25 minutes.