Wondering how to make homemade potato wedges crispier than ever? We’ve got you covered!
These potato wedges have the perfect amount of seasoning and are crispy on the outside, soft on the inside. Everyone loves a good potato wedge to have with their hamburger or decadent T-bone steak. But what does it take to get a potato wedge from good to amazing? I’ll share my secret with you.
The trick to getting a perfectly crisp potato wedge is to soak the potatoes in an ice water bath for 30 minutes before baking them in the oven. This helps remove excess potato starch and make them extra crispy and delicious on the outside once cooked. Be sure to pat each individual potato dry with a paper towel once you remove from the ice water bath.
I’ve found using russet potatoes works best for the wedges, but you may use a waxy potato like Yukons if your prefer. You’ll want to cut the potatoes lengthwise (the skinny way) to get about 12 wedges per potato.
As far as seasonings go, don’t be afraid to over season. I like using dried rosemary, salt, and garlic powder. Instead of getting a bowl dirty, use a large Ziploc bag to toss the potatoes and seasonings together. Before you know it you and your family will be enjoying a nice side of baked potato wedges that are full of flavor and perfectly crispy. You’re not likely to buy potato wedges again after a taste of these!Print
- Cooking spray
- 2 russet potatoes
- 1 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Fresh parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Cut the potatoes in half – lengthwise (the skinny way). Then cut each half into the wedges – you should yield 12 wedges per potato.
- Fill a large bowl with ice and water. Place potatoes in bowl, making sure they are fully submerged. Let sit for 30 minutes, then remove from ice bath and place on a paper towel. Be sure to pat each individual potato wedge dry. This step is important.
- Put dry potatoes in a large Ziploc bag (you may need 2 bags) and add in oil, salt, garlic powder, rosemary, and pepper. Shake generously until potato wedges are coated.
- Place wedges on prepared baking sheet. Bake on the top rack of the oven for 15 minutes, then flip potatoes and bake for another 15-20 minutes, until the wedges get crispy.
- Garnish with parsley and serve with ketchup or dipping sauce of choice.