We’re delivering the best basic potato salad recipe every cook needs and adding a few mix-ins for when you want to change it up.
Potato salad is one of those side dishes that many people are particular about. Does it have too many onions? Not enough pickle relish? Which type of potatoes did you use? The preferences are endless, which is why I created this basic, easy potato salad recipe that everyone at the table is sure to enjoy.
I find using red potatoes for potato salad is the best (here’s more on why they are). I peel the potatoes, but it is up to you whether you want to keep the skin on or not. Using a waxy potato like the red potato is the best choice because they hold their shape after cooking. Plus, they give the potato salad a soft, creamy texture which compliments the dish well.
The fun part about potato salad is that you can add seasonings and extra mix-ins with no extra fuss. The seasonings I used in this recipe were mayonnaise, mustard, onion powder and paprika. I added in red onion, celery and pickle relish for a pop of color and crunch. You can substitute your own seasonings just as easily.
A time saving tip for this recipe is to have your hard boiled eggs cooked ahead of time. This way, when you go to make the potato salad you have one less step to tackle.
What kind of ingredients do you like in your potato salad? I’d love to hear.Print
- 15 red potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 1 and 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. mustard
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- Dash of paprika
- 5 hard boiled eggs, roughly chopped
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp. pickle relish
- 2 Tbsp. parsley, fresh
- Cut the potatoes into chunks and place in a medium-sized pot. Fill and cover with water and add in a dash of salt.
- Bring to a boil then let simmer until you can pierce with a fork, about 8-10 minutes.
- Drain potatoes, rinse with cold water and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Make the dressing: In a medium-sized bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, onion powder and paprika. Add this in to the potatoes and stir gently.
- Then add in pickle relish, red onion, celery, eggs and parsley. Mix gently.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in fridge for 4 hours before serving.