Best Instant Pot Dinners
Make meal planning a breeze with our best Instant Pot dinner recipes all in one place!
Ah, the Instant Pot. Truly a remarkable appliance. The Instant Pot has reshaped the modern kitchen, creating masterful meals in a short amount of time.
That’s because the Instant Pot is more than just a typical pressure cooker. It’s an all-in-one cooking appliance. It has changed the way that I cook and I’m sure it will do the same for you.
But, like any tool, it’s important to understand how to wield your Instant Pot for maximum levels of success.
That’s why we’ve compiled this central article where you can find the best Instant Pot dinner recipes. Each section will include a quick recipe, detailing the steps you’ll need to take to make an Instant Pot dinner that the whole family can enjoy.
If you want more information, each section of this article will feature links to a full length recipe.
Now, let’s get cooking!
How Do You Cook Beef in an Instant Pot?
How Do You Make Pot Roast in an Instant Pot?
Beef, it’s what’s for dinner, right? (Am I dating myself with that reference?)
Anyway, if you’re a family that loves a good beef-based dinner, like a pot roast, you can create the best beef in your Instant Pot.
How? Just follow these steps.
- Season a chuck roast with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Put a drizzle of vegetable oil in the Instant Pot and set it to Saute.
- Sear the roast on all sides until it’s brown. It should take 3-4 minutes per side.
- Add three cups of beef broth to the pot along with a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce.
- Secure the lid and set it to sealing position.
- Set your Instant Pot on Manual and cook for 20 minutes less than the total time needed. This varies based on the size of your roast but typically count on about 20 minutes per pound.
- Do a natural release for 15 minutes then finish off with a quick release.
- Add red potatoes, carrots, and onions in with your beef.
- Close the lid again and set it to sealing position. Pressure cook on high for another 20 minutes.
- Do a natural release for a minimum of 15 minutes, then finish off with a quick release until the pin drops.
- Remove everything from the pot except for the broth.
- Skim the fat from your meat if you desire.
- Mix water and flour together in a jar and shake it. Add that to the liquid already in the pot. Stir it all together.
- Hit cancel and then the Saute setting on your Instant Pot. Cook until the gravy is thickened and simmering.
- Slice the meat and serve along with the veggies and gravy.
How Do You Cook Beef Stew In the Instant Pot?
Beef stew is a nice hearty meal, perfect for long winter nights. But you don’t have to slow cook a stew to get your beef perfectly tender.
You can work a culinary wonder by making beef stew in your Instant Pot.
Here’s how it works:
- Season your beef with salt and pepper. Don’t be stingy!
- Using a six quart Instant Pot, select the Saute setting.
- Add olive oil to the warmed pot, then add the beef. Cook it for five to 10 minutes, turning once each side is browned. Continue cooking until you’ve got all sides a deep shade of brown.
- Add potatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, beef stock, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, thyme, and bay leaves.
- Cover the Instant Pot and lock the lid in place. Set the vent to sealing mode.
- Cook under high pressure for a total of 20 minutes.
- Once the time expires, do a natural release for 10 minutes. Finish that off with a quick release until the pin drops.
- Skim the fat from the liquid using a gravy separator.
- Mix flour and water together until it forms a smooth paste. Stir that mixture into the stew.
- Hit Cancel and then set your Instant Pot to Saute. Simmer for 10 minutes. The gravy should be thickened.
- Season to taste and then serve!
How Do You Make Beef Bourguignon In The Instant Pot?
This is a beef stew that is also sometimes called beef burgundy. This recipe differs slightly from our standard beef stew, but the extra effort is more than worth it.
What’s more, you can make beef bourguignon right from your Instant Pot.
Just follow these steps:
- Season your beef with salt and pepper generously.
- Set your Instant Pot on Saute. It should hold at least six quarts.
- Add bacon and cook for three to four minutes. The bacon should be just starting to crisp.
- Add your beef and cook together with your bacon for five to 10 minutes. Brown all sides.
- Add beef stock, burgundy wine, and bouquet garni.
- Lock the lid in place and set your vent to sealing position.
- Pressure cook on high setting for 20 minutes.
- Let the steam release naturally for 10 minutes. Finish it off with a quick release until the pin drops.
- Add potatoes, mushrooms, onions, and carrots. Lock the lid back on and set the vent to sealing position. Cook for another 10 minutes followed by another 10 minute natural release, finished off by a quick release until the pin drops.
- Knead together butter and flour in a small dish to create a soft dough. Form it into four balls of equal size.
- Set the Instant Pot to Saute. Stir in the dough one piece at a time until the stew is thickened.
- Garnish with some fresh thyme and serve!
How Do You Make Goulash in an Instant Pot?
American style goulash is a treat to be sure. This pasta and beef meal is sure to be a success at your dinner table.
Thankfully, cooking American goulash in an Instant Pot is quick and easy.
Just follow these steps:
- Turn the Instant Pot to Saute mode on the More setting.
- Once the pot is heated, add oil and onion. Saute together for two minutes, stirring often.
- Add ground beef and saute with the onion for six to eight minutes. As the meat browns, make sure you’re crumbling it.
- Add your beef broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, paprika, and black pepper.
- Pour in elbow macaroni and stir.
- Lock the lid on your Instant Pot and set it to sealing position. Hit Cancel and then Pressure Cook for just 5 minutes.
- Do a quick release until the pin drops.
- Remove the goulash from the pot right away to keep it from overcooking.
How Do You Make Chili In An Instant Pot?
Oh, chili! Just the sound of it brings music to my ears.
Chili is one of my favorite winter meals (though it can be enjoyed any time of the year). But, the Instant Pot makes cooking your favorite chili a breeze.
If you’re trying to cook chili in your Instant Pot, just follow these basic steps.
- Turn the Instant Pot to Saute, and make sure it is on the More setting.
- Once the pan is heated, odd your oil, onion, and bell peppers. Saute all of this for three to five minutes, while stirring often.
- Add your ground beef and saute for 10 minutes. Make sure the crumble the meat with your spoon as you brown it. Drain the excess fat.
- Add beef broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.
- Lock the lid on and set the vent to sealing position. Pressure cook for 20 minutes.
- Do a natural release for 20 minutes, then finish it off with a quick release until the pin drops.
- Open the lid and stir in beans. Hit Cancel and then Saute to cook the beans in for a few minutes.
- Serve! Consider a dollop of sour cream and some shredded cheese on top.
How Do You Make Short Ribs In The Instant Pot?
Short ribs are not as intimidating as they might seem. Typically, this is a complicated dinner to prepare, and it takes forever.
If you cook your short ribs in an Instant Pot, you’re going to have amazing results that come with much less time commitment.
Just follow these steps:
- Evenly season the ribs with salt and pepper.
- Set the Instant Pot on Saute and add some vegetable oil.
- Brown the ribs on all sides.
- Put all the browned ribs in the pot together along with beef broth, red wine, rosemary, thyme sprigs, and garlic.
- Lock the lid in place and make sure it is in Sealing mode.
- Pressure cook on high for 40 minutes.
- Do a natural release for 10 minutes and then finish off with a quick release until the pin drops.
- Remove the ribs and skim the fat out of the liquid.
- Add balsamic vinegar and brown sugar to the pot. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Create a cornstarch and water slurry in a bowl and add it to the Instant Pot. Switch to Saute mode and cook the gravy to a simmer. There should be a shiny glaze after just a few minutes.
- Put the short ribs back into the pot and cover them with the glaze.
Can You Make Meatloaf in the Instant Pot?
Meatloaf in the Instant Pot is quick and very easy.
This classic comfort food can be prepared using this amazing appliance without a whole lot of effort.
Just follow these steps and enjoy:
- Heat oil in a medium skillet on medium heat. Saute onion in there until it is softened. It should take about five minutes.
- Combine ground beef, breadcrumbs, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and eggs in a bowl. Use your hands to mix everything together evenly.
- Pour one cup of water into the Instant Pot and insert the trivet.
- Now, create a small “pan” with a piece of aluminium foil, with the sides facing up to catch cooking juices. Place it on the trivet.
- Shape the meat into a loaf and place it onto the foil.
- Lock the lid in place and set the valve to sealing mode.
- Pressure cook on high for 25 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine ketchup and mustard. Preheat the broiler on your oven to high and position a rack on the second level below the broiler.
- Do a quick release on the Instant Pot when the time expires. Lift out the trivet and transfer the meatloaf to a baking sheet.
- Spread the ketchup mixture over the meatloaf and broil for one to three minutes.
- Let it rest for up to 15 minutes before serving.
How Do You Make Chicken In the Instant Pot?
How do You Make Chicken Noodle Soup In the Instant Pot?
Chicken noodle soup is a perfect meal for the whole family. It’s great for allergy season, especially, when some members of the family might be under the weather.
You can make some great chicken noodle soup in your Instant Pot.
Just follow these steps:
- Turn the Instant Pot to the Saute setting. Add oil, carrots, celery, garlic, and onion.
- Cook together for four to five minutes. You want the veggies to soften but not turn brown.
- Add chicken, water, dried parsley, bay leaves, and one teaspoon of salt and pepper.
- Lock the lid onto your Instant Pot and set it to sealing position.
- Use the soup function on the pot or just set it to manually pressure cook on high for 30 minutes.
- Do a natural release until the pin drops. Remove the lid once it is safe to do so.
- Remove the chicken from the pot. Discard the bones and skin. Return the meat to the pot. Season the broth to taste.
- Hit Cancel and then Saute to bring the soup to a boil. Add noodles and cook while stirring occasionally until the noodles are softened. This should take between six and eight minutes.
Can You Cook a Whole Chicken In An Instant Pot?
You can absolutely cook a whole chicken in an Instant Pot, and it’s not hard at all. What’s more, your chicken will be flavorful and tender.
Follow these steps and you won’t be disappointed.
- Make sure the trivet is placed at the base of your Instant Pot.
- Pour one cup of water into the pot.
- Stuff one cut onion in the cavity of the chicken to maintain its form while cooking.
- Rub the chicken all over with seasoning. Place lemon slices and rosemary around and on top of the chicken.
- Put the chicken on the trivet and lock the lid in place. Make sure the valve is set to the sealing position.
- Cook on high pressure for 6 minutes per pound.
- Do a natural release for 15 minutes and finish it off with a quick release until the pin drops.
- Remove the lid and check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer. It should be at 165°F or above.
How Can You Cook Chicken Thighs In the Instant Pot?
Much like it’s possible to cook a whole chicken in the Instant Pot, it is also equally possible to cook chicken thighs in the Instant Pot.
It is easy, effective, and quick!
Follow these steps to have some of the best chicken thighs you’ve ever had!
- Season the thighs with salt and pepper. Don’t overdo it.
- Measure out one to four cups of water into the bottom of your Instant Pot. Add onion and garlic if you’re using it. It should be noted that you only need one cup of water to do this, but you can have up to four if you want chicken stock left over.
- Make sure the trivet is at the base of your Instant Pot. Put the thighs on it.
- Lock the lid in place and make sure your Instant Pot is in sealing position. Pressure cook on high for 10 minutes if the thighs have bones and skins, 10 minutes if they have bones but no skins, eight minutes if they are boneless and skinless, or 12 minutes if they are frozen.
- Do a natural release for five minutes. Finish it with a quick release until the pin drops.
- Remove the lid, take out the thighs and strain the liquid if you’re saving it as stock.
How Do You Make Chicken Parmesan In The Instant Pot?
There is nothing quite like an exquisite chicken parm. And now, you can cook chicken Parmesan in your Instant Pot, using just one pot with minimal clean up.
All you have to do is follow these simple instructions.
- Mix breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, flour, salt, and pepper together in a medium bowl. Pour olive oil into a separate bowl.
- Dunk both sides of chicken thighs into the olive oil and coat with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Put two tablespoons of oil in the Instant Pot and set it to Saute.
- Place the breaded chicken into the pot and brown on both sides for about two minutes each.
- Pour tomato sauce in and lock the lid in place. Make sure the vent is in Sealing mode.
- Pressure cook on high for 15 minutes.
- Do a natural release for 10 minutes, then finish it with a quick release until the pin drops.
- Remove the lid and add mozzarella cheese on top.
- Put the lid back on for another two minutes so that the cheese melts.
- The internal temperature of the chicken should be at least 165°F when read with a meat thermometer.
How Do You Make Chicken Chili In the Instant Pot?
Ok, so we’ve already gone through how to make beef chili in the Instant Pot, but you have to try our recipe for Instant Pot white chicken chili.
Follow these steps to experience chicken in a whole new way.
- Set your Instant Pot to Saute and add oil.
- Add some onion and garlic and saute for three to five minutes until they are softened.
- Turn off the heat by hitting the Cancel button. Add in beans, green chilis, chicken stock, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Mix it all together to combine.
- Add chicken, making sure that it is at least partially submerged in the broth.
- Lock the lid in place and set your valve to sealing position.
- Cook on high pressure for 12 minutes.
- Either let the pressure release naturally or do a quick release.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and shred it with two forks. Stir it back into the chii.
Can You Make Macaroni and Cheese In the Instant Pot?
Mac and cheese is the ultimate comfort food, but you don’t have to rely on the box and powder variety brands that you’ll find in your grocery store. You can make Mac and Cheese in your Instant Pot!
It’s super easy! Just follow these steps!
- Add the pasta to the Instant Pot first. Follow that up with chicken or veggie broth. Then add butter, garlic powder, mustard, and salt in that order.
- Lock the lid in place and set the valve to sealing.
- Turn the Instant Pot to high pressure and cook for four minutes.
- Do a natural release for two minutes and then finish it off with a quick release until the pin drops.
- Stir in your cheese along with half and half and mix them until they’re combined.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
So now that you know that you can make anything from chili to mac and cheese to a whole chicken, which one is going to be dinner tonight? I hope this inspires many delicious Instant Pot meals for you and your family!