Best Oven Roasted Potatoes
Oven roasted potatoes are everyone’s favorite. Learn how to make them better than ever with our method and tips.
We’ve already shown you how to make the best mashed potatoes, now we’re going to a new level with the best roasted potatoes. These are perfect for any meal – from breakfast to dinner and from family meals to company dinner and can be pulled together in no time. If you use parchment paper like we recommend you’ll also save some time cleaning up afterward.
This is a recipe you can come back to time and time again, impressing everyone from your family, friends, dinner guests and most importantly – yourself.
We’re using olive oil and butter, a fat combination that provides both wonderful flavor and encourages crispy roasting. We recommend toasting the spices a bit while melting the butter to help them release their oils and maximize the flavor profile. The recipe isn’t complicated, and we prefer a classic russet potato variety for the very best results. If you follow these steps exactly you’re sure to achieve the perfect roasted potato.
The Best Oven Roasted Potatoes
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 48 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 lbs. russet potatoes (approximately 4 cups diced)
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Rinse and scrub your potatoes, leaving the skin on. While they dry, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dice the potatoes into 1 inch cubes and lay them on the baking sheet. In a small saucepan, heat the butter, olive oil, garlic powder, paprika and thyme until everything is in a liquid state and the spices have gotten fragrant, 3-4 minutes.
- Pour the butter and olive oil spice mixture over the potatoes and sprinkle on the salt and pepper. Toss everything well, and place in the oven for 20 minutes. Turn all the potatoes over. Put them back into the oven until golden and crispy, about 25-28 minutes more.