Have a Halloween birthday party? Birthday cake pumpkin seeds…heck yes! Just add the balloons and presents.
My birthday is in the Fall and so Fall flavors and birthday stuff go together. When I was thinking about ways to flavor pumpkin seeds, birthday cake flavored made sense to me.
How Do You Get Birthday Cake Flavor?
This is a very simple recipe. To get the birthday cake flavor, toasted seeds are tossed with cake mix powder. Then they go into the oven to roast the flavoring onto the pumpkin seeds. The flavor is intense and sweet and just plain good.
Happy Birthday to me! Ha!Print
- ½ cup boxed white cake mix
- 1 and ½ cups fresh pumpkin seeds (the amount you’ll get from approximately one large pumpkin or from two pie pumpkins)
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Measure the dry cake mix into a medium-sized bowl.
- Put the pumpkin seeds in a colander and rinse with cold water. Pat them dry with paper towel.
- Warm the canola oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the pumpkin seeds (stand back to avoid oil spatters which can happen if the seeds were not thoroughly dried). Cook stirring occasionally until browned in a lot of spots, 4-5 minutes.
- Immediately transfer the hot seeds to the bowl of cake mix. Stir until all the seeds are coated in cake mix.
- Spread the seeds out on the parchment-lined baking sheet in a single layer. Put the baking sheet into the oven and roast the seeds until they’re crunchy, 18-22 minutes.
- Cool the seeds on the baking sheet. Serve at room temperature. Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
This post originally appeared in October 2016 and was revised and republished in October 2021.