- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 6 oz. Canadian bacon or ham
- 3–15 oz. low-sodium black beans
- 1–15 oz. canned diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- Optional garnishes: chopped tomato, minced jalapeno, chopped cilantro, chopped avocado, lime wedges
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the Canadian bacon slices. Cook until lightly browned, 1-2 minutes. Remove to a cutting board.
- Meanwhile, empty the cans of black beans and diced tomatoes with their liquid to a large blender, along with the garlic powder, chicken stock, salt, and pepper. Pulse until all is in very small pieces (if your blender isn’t big enough, do this in two batches).
- Put the bean mixture in the pot over medium-high heat and cover it, stirring every few minutes until heated through.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the Canadian bacon and add it to the soup.
- Remove soup from heat. Stir in the lime juice.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with optional garnishes, if desired.
Skip the Canadian bacon and use vegetable broth to make this dish vegetarian!