- 3 cups cooked farro (learn how to cook it here)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pint button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 and ⅗ lbs. lean ground beef or chicken
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. coarse black pepper
- 1 (28 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. If the farro isn’t freshly made and hot, heat it a bit in the microwave or pour boiling water over it and then drain it, just to heat it through.
- Warm the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large saute pan. Add the onion and mushrooms and cook until softened, 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic, ground meat, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until cooked through, 4-5 minutes.
- Spread the farro into a 9×13″ baking dish. Top with the beef mixture. Add the tomato sauce and spread it out. Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted and starting to brown, about 10 minutes.