- 1 and ½ Tbsp. softened butter
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- 2 oz. shredded aged cheddar
- 2 hand-sliced 3/4 inch slices whole wheat bread
- ½ large navel orange, pith and peel removed, sliced ¼ inch thick to yield 4 slices
- 2 slices crisply cooked bacon
- Preheat a non-stick skillet or well-seasoned cast iron skillet over medium-low heat.
- In a small bowl use a fork to mash together the butter and maple syrup until well combined. Spread half of the butter mixture onto one side of one slice of bread. Spread the other half onto one side of the other slice of bread.
- Place each slice of bread buttered side down into the preheated pan. Sprinkle half of the cheddar onto the top side of each slice. Arrange the bacon in a single layer on one slice. Cover the pan and cook for 7-10 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the underside of the bread slices is browned.
- To a cutting board, transfer the slice of toasted bread that has the bacon. Arrange the orange slices over the bacon in a single layer. Invert the second slice of bread onto the orange slices such that orange and cheddar meet. Cut in half to serve.