Learn how to make a healthy and delicious salad with all the flavor of your favorite chicken wings.
Eating salads, like this Buffalo Chicken Salad, at home is a great way to get your vegetables in. But, all that vegetable prep is time consuming and can turn even a veggie-lover away from a homemade salad. That’s where pre-prepping vegetables comes into play. Instead of chopping vegetables as you make a salad, chop the veggies you buy right away and store in the fridge. That’ll make it really easy to throw together a nourishing and delicious salad in just minutes. You can even do the same with proteins. Bake a few chicken breasts at once to use in various dishes throughout the week. Plain baked chicken is a great base for any variety of flavor combinations you can think up. Most pre-prepped vegetables and proteins can last up to 3-5 days in the fridge.
A big perk about this Buffalo Chicken Salad is that it gets you that wing flavor you crave but without all the fat. Another way to keep this salad extra healthy and extra easy is to focus on the dressing. Try making your own ranch dressing, but a healthy version made with fat-free Greek yogurt. If you don’t have the time to make your own, thin your favorite store-bought dressing out with some skim milk. Your dressing will go farther with less fat.
Quick Extra Tip: You can marinate the cooked chicken in hot sauce instead of drizzling it onto the salad. If you do this, the heat is concentrated on the chicken pieces instead of spread throughout the whole salad.Print
- ¾ cup homemade ranch dressing or store-bought
- ¼ cup skim milk (optional)
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 lb. cooked chicken breasts, shredded
- 4 stalks celery, chopped finely
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 whole English cucumber, sliced and quartered
- ¼ cup roasted sunflower seeds
- Cayenne pepper hot sauce (like Frank’s hot sauce) to taste
- If desired, thin the ranch dressing with the skim milk by pouring both into a jar with a lid that seals. Place lid on jar and shake until combined.
- Lay lettuce in bowl, add the chicken, celery, carrots, cucumber and sunflower seeds. Drizzle top with ranch dressing and hot sauce to taste.