- 16 cups popped popcorn
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter, cut into 8 pieces
- ¼ cup dark corn syrup
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- large brown paper bag
- Place popped popcorn in large brown paper bag. In microwave-safe dish combine the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt. Cook on high in the microwave for 2 minutes. Stir, then cook on high for 2 minutes more.
- Stir in baking soda and when dissolved pour over popcorn in brown bag. Crumple up the top to seal. Shake well.
- Place bag in microwave and cook on high for 1 minute 30 seconds. Take bag out, shake, and return to microwave for 1 minute. Take bag out, shake, and return to microwave for 30 seconds.
- Carefully pour onto large pan to cool at room temperature or in refrigerator. Break up popcorn and serve.
Recipe Inspired by Louise Markland, Bend High School Culinary Arts Instructor