- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni noodles
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne
- 1 and ½ cups milk
- 16 oz. riced cauliflower (about 4 cups riced or 1 medium head of cauliflower)
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese (about 2 cups of shredded cheese)
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put a large pot or Dutch oven over high heat. Add the chicken broth. Cover the pot and bring it to a boil. When the broth reaches a boil add the salt and the macaroni elbows. Return it to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Stir occasionally until cooked, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat but do not drain.
- While the broth is coming to a boil, measure the flour and cayenne into a mason jar. Add the milk and put the lid on the jar. Shake it a lot, tipping it around and upside down to dislodge all flour and to get it well blended. Set aside.
- Put the riced into a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave them 2 minutes at a time until tender, about 4-6 minutes. Shred the cheese.
- By now the noodles are probably cooked. Remember, don’t drain them just remove the pot from the heat. Give your mason jar of flour another good shake and then add it to the pot all at once. Stir. Return the pot to high heat and bring it to a boil, stirring often. Add the cauliflower and the Dijon.
- Remove pot from heat and stir in most of the cheese, saving about ¼ cup for a garnish if desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with the reserved cheese.