Cauliflower Rice Bowls are a delicious rice bowl that uses cauliflower rice instead of regular rice and has fun flavorful toppings.
As you may know, we’re doing a whole series on burrito bowls. There are so many delicious ways to make a burrito or rice bowl like these Korean Beef Bowls and this Vegan Burrito Bowl with homemade sofritas that tastes like a Chipotle vegan burrito bowl so be sure to try them all.
What is cauliflower rice?
Cauliflower rice is exactly that. Rice made out of cauliflower. We showed you how to rice cauliflower here. That means taking a head of cauliflower and getting it into tiny little pieces that cook quickly. Then we showed you how to make cauliflower rice. This is, essentially, the crumbles of cauliflower that are cooked such that they seem like cooked rice. Now that you know all that, I thought it would be fun to show you a great way to use your cooked cauliflower rice.
What kind of protein can you use?
I use chickpeas and hummus to add protein to this rice bowl. This keeps it a nice plant-based meal and the chickpeas make it more filling. If you want to add meat, you can use cooked chicken or beef.
What toppings should you use?
This recipe is a rice bowl or burrito bowl (the kind of thing you might order at Chipotle) that uses cauliflower rice instead of rice.
What you’re going to do is make up a batch of cauliflower rice as discussed above. Then you put it into bowls and top it with all kinds of stuff. You can go in a Mexican direction and make it Chipotle-style. Or you can do something totally different.
I went with totally different.
This not-rice rice bowl has chickpeas, avocado, cucumber, radishes, sunflower seeds and fresh dill.
The most delicious, and frankly amazing, part of this recipe though is the dressing. It’s literally just hummus, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper mixed together. The oil and lemon juice thin down the hummus into a dressing consistency. The result is crazily delicious.
- 1 Tbsp. plus ¼ cup mild-flavored olive oil, divided
- 16 oz. cauliflower rice (4–5 cups uncooked)
- ¼ cup hummus
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. black pepper
- 1 (14 oz.) can low-sodium chick peas, drained
- 2 avocados, chopped
- ½ English cucumber, sliced
- 8 radishes, sliced
- 4 Tbsp. toasted sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup fresh dill fronds
- Warm a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and heat.
- Add the cauliflower, stir, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the hummus, remaining ¼ cup olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper until smooth. This may take a minute.
- Divide cauliflower among 4 deep bowls.
- Top with chickpeas, avocado, cucumber, and radishes.
- Divide hummus dressing among the bowls.
- Top with sunflower seeds and dill.
Originally published September 15, 2017.