Champagne Sangria for the Holiday Season
Sangria in the winter? Heck yeah! Especially when you throw in some Champagne, cranberries and oranges.
I think of sangria as a summer drink. Cold red wine with lots of fruitiness going on. Perfect for sitting by the pool or to start off a hot evening.
But what about sangria in the winter?
Of course, silly! These days you can drink whatever you want whenever you want. If you want it, go for it. Having said that, I would never ever advise that you serve normal sangria at your winter wonderland party. It doesn’t make sense.
Mulled wine? Yessssss.
Sangria? No no no no no.
Today’s Champagne Sangria recipe is an exception though. It was created with the holiday season in mind. It’s perfect for New Year’s Eve or anytime during this hap-happiest season of all. And it’s super-easy. Just chop up some oranges and lemons. Put them with some frozen cranberries into a pitcher. Add bubbly and some cranberry juice, if you’d like. Put it in the fridge for 30 minutes so that the sparkling wine takes on some of the fruit flavors. Add ice and serve.
Haha! Now you can have your sangria and drink it at Christmastime too!
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- About 40 frozen cranberries
- 1 medium orange (or 2 clementines), peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 lemon, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 bottle cold sparkling wine
- 1 cup cranberry juice (optional)
- ice cubes
- Put the cranberries, orange and lemon into a 1 and 1/2 liter pitcher. Pour in the bubbly and the cranberry juice, if using. Put in the fridge for 30 minutes. Add 2 cups ice and serve.