We’re bringing Cheesy Chicken Casserole back and it’s better than ever with a homemade condensed cream of chicken option and the best crunchy topping.
What kind of noodles should you use?
Traditionally Cheesy Chicken Casserole is made with egg noodles, but you can use any other pasta you’d like instead. Make sure you cook your pasta to al dente so you don’t risk it overcooking and getting mushy.
Do you have to use canned cream of chicken soup?
While you’re cooking the pasta, mix up the rest of the ingredients. You can either buy canned condensed cream of chicken soup or make your own using our recipe for Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup.
Of course, I’d suggest you make your own. It definitely adds more flavor, plus you can make it up pretty quickly. Then you’ll thin it down to a sauce-like consistency by mixing in some milk. That’s it. Now you just have to mix all the ingredients together, pour the mixture into a baking dish and add the best part – the topping.
How do I get that crunchy cheesy topping?
Ritz crackers are the traditional ingredient used in the topping for this casserole but you can also substitute that for regular or gluten-free panko bread crumbs. Panko tends to be crispier than regular bread crumbs.Print
Cheesy Chicken Casserole
We’re bringing Cheesy Chicken Casserole back and it’s better than ever with a homemade condensed cream of chicken option and the best crunchy topping ever.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Entrée
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 4 cups cooked egg noodles
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 (10.75) can condensed chicken soup or 1 recipe homemade
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ tsp. salt (optional)
- 1 and ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup crushed Ritz crackers or panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ tsp. olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare 9′ x 9′ baking dish.
- In a large bowl combine egg noodles, chicken, condensed chicken soup, milk and salt. Mix well.
- Pour egg noodles and chicken into the baking dish.
- In a medium bowl mix shredded cheddar cheese, Ritz crackers/panko and olive oil.
- Spread over the egg noodle and chicken mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until cheese is melted and the top is crispy.
Leave a Reply