If you’re fancy and have a muddler, clap your hands. Clap! Clap! Now, go get it and make this Fresh Cherry and Lime Margarita. There’s a secret ingredient in there too. You don’t want to miss this!
Cherry and lime are pretty much the perfect flavor combination. Super-sweet with super-sour. There’s a pinch of cinnamon in here too. You won’t notice it but trust me, it so makes the drink.
The cherry flavor for this margarita is achieved through some intense fruit-muddling. You’re going to put your fresh cherries and lime into a cocktail shaker and then smash the heck out of them with the handle of a wooden spoon (or a muddler if you’re fancy enough to have one. It seems that I’m not. Old wooden spoon for me, thanks). Then you strain out the flavored liquid, dump the mushy fruit into the garbage and use the liquid to proceed with your regular margarita-making.
- 1 tbsp coarse salt (I use kosher salt)
- 1 lime, plus a couple more wedges for serving
- 12–15 fresh cherries, pitted
- a pinch of cinnamon
- 2 ounces (that’s ¼ cup) tequila
- 1 ounce (that’s 2 tbsp) agave syrup or simple syrup
- 4–6 whole unpitted cherries with the stems attached, for serving
- Pour the salt onto a small plate. Cut a wedge out of the lime and cut a little slit into the flesh. Run the slit along the rim of two 6 oz. martini glasses or tumblers. Dip the lime-wetted rims of the glasses in the salt. Set aside.
- Squeeze that same lime wedge into a cocktail shaker. Squeeze the juice from the rest of the lime into the shaker as well. Add the cherries and the cinnamon. Use a muddler or the handle of a wooden spoon to really squish everything up well.
- Add the tequila and the syrup. Put the lid on the cocktail shaker and shake it for at least a minute. Strain the mixture into a small bowl. Discard everything from the shaker and rinse it out. Fill the shaker with ice and top it with the liquid from the measuring cup. Shake it. Shake. Shake. Shake it. Everything should be icy cold.
- Fill the salt-rimmed glasses with ice and strain the drink over top. Garnish with fresh whole cherries and more lime wedges.