Chicken Enchilada Casserole is the best way to enjoy your favorite enchiladas without having to do all the work of filling and rolling them.
- 1 (28 oz.) can enchilada sauce, divided
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chile peppers
- 1 (15.5 oz) can black beans, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 8 soft corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Fresh cilantro
- Heat your oven to 375°F.
- Pour 1/4 cup enchilada sauce into a 9 x 11″ casserole dish and spread until the bottom of the dish is evenly coated.
- Heat the oil in a skillet set over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook until browned, 4-5 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper and chiles and cook 5-6 minutes, until softened.
- Stir in the beans, corn, and remaining enchilada sauce. Simmer 5 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Cut the tortillas in half. Arrange 8 tortilla pieces in a single layer covering the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Cover with half of the chicken mixture and 1 cup cheese.
- Repeat with another layer of tortillas, chicken, and cheese.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes, until cheese is bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with cilantro.