Chicken Enchilada Casserole is the best way to enjoy your favorite enchiladas without having to do all the work of filling and rolling them.
I love traditional enchiladas, but making them can be kind of tedious. Enter Chicken Enchilada Casserole! Instead of rolling the filling in individual tortillas, which can be time-consuming and messy, you stack everything lasagna-style for this casserole. It tastes almost exactly like regular enchiladas, but you don’t need to worry about cracked tortillas or messy fingers.
Getting a nice, even layer of tortillas is really important for this recipe because you’ll want to make sure you have some in every bite. You might be wondering how to do that when tortillas are round and casserole pans are rectangular, but there’s a simple trick to getting it just right. Simply cut each tortilla in half! Then you can arrange the cut edges along the sides of the pan. Two tortilla pieces against each long edge, one piece against each short edge, and two pieces to fill in the gaps in the middle usually does the trick perfectly!
Enchilada casserole, like many of our other classic casserole recipes, also freezes really well. I love making two – one to eat right away and the other to freeze for a quick meal on a night that I don’t feel like cooking. You can also freeze individual portions for easy lunches, like a homemade TV dinner.Print
- 1 (28 oz.) can enchilada sauce, divided
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chile peppers
- 1 (15.5 oz) can black beans, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 8 soft corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Fresh cilantro
- Heat your oven to 375°F.
- Pour ¼ cup enchilada sauce into a 9 x 11″ casserole dish and spread until the bottom of the dish is evenly coated.
- Heat the oil in a skillet set over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook until browned, 4-5 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper and chiles and cook 5-6 minutes, until softened.
- Stir in the beans, corn, and remaining enchilada sauce. Simmer 5 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Cut the tortillas in half. Arrange 8 tortilla pieces in a single layer covering the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Cover with half of the chicken mixture and 1 cup cheese.
- Repeat with another layer of tortillas, chicken, and cheese.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes, until cheese is bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with cilantro.