Get the tips and tricks to make delicious Chicken Parm in one skillet.
I don’t know about you, but I hate having to do dishes during the week. After coming home from work, cleaning up is one of my least favorite things to do. Luckily this Chicken Parmesan One-Pot Skillet Dinner is here to save the day! It’s got all of the flavors of the classic dish with much less hassle. All you need is an oven proof skillet to bring it all together…looking at you cast iron.
I even made the spaghetti in the cast iron which I never had considered before. While that’s cooking, I prepped and breaded the chicken to save time. The chicken then gets browned in the skillet and transferred to the oven to finish cooking. Just before serving, toss the pasta with boiling water from a kettle to heat it back up again.
The whole dish came together in less than an hour which has got to be a record for an amazing pasta dish.
Since we are using the same skillet for the whole dish, be careful of burning parts of the dish and leaving it to leach into other flavors. The cast iron will be really hot after making the spaghetti so turning the heat to low should make sure to not burn the breadcrumbs on the chicken. If it does happen, just use a paper towel (and caution) to wipe out any burnt pieces.
To save even more time, use a jar of your favorite marinara. Less measuring and fewer dishes to do. If you’re a believer in meal prep, make the spaghetti ahead of time to just heat and serve with the chicken. Life’s too short for frozen dinners, y’all.
All the instructions for this one-skillet dinner are below. If you’d like more info on how to make chicken cutlets, which form the basis for this dish, head over here.
- 8 oz. spaghetti
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 tsp. pepper, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 28 oz. tomato sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp. dried basil
- 1/2 Tbsp. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 4 slices mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In an oven-proof skillet, add 6 cups of water and bring to a boil. Add spaghetti and cook 10-11 minutes. Drain when done and set aside.
- While spaghetti is cooking, cut chicken breasts in half length wise creating 4 thin chicken breasts. Mix together flour, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper on a plate. Add beaten egg to a bowl. Mix together breadcrumbs and Parmesan on a plate. Dredge chicken breasts through flour, covering entirely. Add to the egg ensuring all of it has been covered. Dredge through breadcrumb mixture and set aside. Repeat for remaining chicken breasts.
- Once spaghetti has been drained, wipe out skillet, turn heat to low, and add olive oil to skillet. Add chicken breasts to skillet and cook 2-3 minutes until golden brown and repeat for the other sides. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add tomato sauce, basil, parsley, oregano, and remaining 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper to skillet. Mix together and place chicken breasts back into skillet. Use a spoon to cover chicken breasts with tomato sauce and top each with a slice of mozzarella. Bake for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through entirely.
- Shortly before chicken is ready, put a kettle of water on to boil. Pour boiling water over spaghetti to warm it back up. Drain. Alternatively, mix spaghetti with tomato sauce in skillet, spreading it around the chicken and put the skillet back into the oven for 5 minutes to heat through.
- Serve chicken with spaghetti and enjoy!