Who loves spaghetti and meatballs? Who loves Chicken Parmesan? Mix them together tonight for this amazing Chicken Parmesan Spaghetti and Meatballs. It’s the best!
This is a seriously amazing dinner. It’s meatballs that are filled with Parmesan cheese and then simmered in a delicious tomato sauce, all piled onto spaghetti. So good, right?
I honestly can’t get enough of it. And because of that, I had to do a few little tweaks to make the recipe a bit healthier. I’m just kinda like that.
Between the oats and coconut flour – which happen to be the most fiber-dense of all flours – these Chicken Parmesan Meatballs are packed full of fiber. This is a good thing because fiber improves digestion, helps regulate blood sugar, can protect against heart disease and cancer, and aids in weight loss. I ditched the usual bread crumbs and amped up the nutritional value even further. Using oats rather than white bread crumbs cuts sodium, boosts protein along with fiber, and packs in calcium, phosphorus, potassium, and iron.
Unlike traditional Chicken Parmesan, which is deep fried, this version is light on oil, simply browning the meatballs in a touch of olive oil before simmering in a vibrant tomato-based marinara sauce.
If you like the idea of the mash up of Chicken Parmesan and meatballs, I think you’ll also like these Buffalo Chicken Meatballs. It always makes me so happy when two things come together to create such delicious bliss!
- 1 lb. ground chicken or turkey meat
- 3/4 cup quick cook oats, ground
- 2 large eggs
- Fresh Parmesan cheese, cut into dice sized cubes plus 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp. and 1 tsp. minced garlic, divided
- 1 tsp. dry oregano
- Wax paper
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- Olive oil
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced (about 1/4 of a large onion)
- 1 Tbsp. dry basil
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 8 oz. dry spaghetti
- Fresh basil for garnish (optional)
- In medium sized mixing bowl, combine chicken, ground oats, eggs, 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon minced garlic, oregano, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix well.
- Warm cast iron skillet over medium high heat.
- Meanwhile, roll meat mixture into golf ball sized balls, pushing 1 cube of fresh Parmesan cheese into the center of each meatball. Ensure cheese is not visible. Place on sheet of wax paper.
- In a small bowl, add coconut flour, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Carefully roll meatballs in flour mixture, setting aside on wax paper once coated.
- Drizzle 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil into hot pan.
- Add meatballs to pan, turning every 30-60 seconds, until all sides are browned.
- Remove meatballs and set aside on a fresh sheet of wax paper.
- To the same pan, add onions, cooking until translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon minced garlic, basil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook 1 minute.
- Pour in crushed tomatoes and balsamic vinegar.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Carefully add meatballs to sauce.
- Cover and cook 15 minutes or until meatballs reach internal temperature of 160°F.
- While sauce and meatballs are simmering, bring a pan of water to boil and cook spaghetti according to package instructions.
- Serve Chicken Parmesan Meatballs over spaghetti noodles, top with sauce and additional shredded Parmesan cheese if desired. Garnish with fresh basil, if desired.