Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowls are so tasty and you can easily make them at home. You may never buy them at a restaurant again.
This is a great way to enjoy your favorite dish without leaving the house. We love burrito bowls, and this copycat of one of our favorites, the Chipotle Burrito Bowl, is sure to be a favorite.
Simply bake the chicken in the oven, cook the rice, add your favorite toppings like beans, cheese, lettuce, corn, pico de gallo, and enjoy! If you’re looking for a recipe you can start in the morning and have mostly ready when you walk in the door, you’ll want to try our Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls.
How to Marinate the Chicken
First, you need to slice the chicken so it cooks in the same amount of time as the bell peppers. You don’t want overcooked mushy bell peppers. To make the marinade, put garlic cloves, oil, cumin, oregano, salt, adobo chipotle pepper, and adobo sauce in the blender. If you don’t own a blender mince the garlic cloves and adobo chipotle pepper, then mix with the rest of the ingredients.
Marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator for best results. If you would like to spice it up, add more adobo sauce or one more chipotle pepper.
How to Bake the Chicken
Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper so the chicken doesn’t stick to the pan. Put marinated chicken breast slices on the sheet pan and surround with slices of bell peppers and onions. Bake on a sheet pan at a high temperature until the chicken is cooked through. The best way to know if your chicken is cooked through is to check it with an instant read thermometer. The chicken is cooked through when the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
What’s in a burrito bowl?
There are many ingredients you can add to a burrito bowl to make something fresh and new each time. Having a variety of topping options also means everyone can assemble their burrito bowl just the way they like. While this is a Chipotle Burrito Bowl feel free to add whatever Tex-Mex toppings you’d like.
- Rice: white rice, brown rice, or cilantro lime rice
- Meat: chicken, barbacoa, steak, carnitas or vegetarian sofritas
- Beans: black, pinto, or refried beans
- Salsa: mild or spicy tomato salsa, pico de gallo, corn salsa with red onion, salsa verde, or red chili salsa
- Toppings: roasted bell peppers, sauteed onions, sour cream, corn, lettuce, shredded cheese, green onion, avocado, guacamole (or go a little different with a Ranch Guacamole)
How to Assemble Your Burrito Bowl
You’ll want to use a deep bowl to assemble your meal. Start by adding rice in the bottom of the bowl, then add beans, cubed baked chicken, and sliced bell peppers with onions. Top it with pico de gallo, corn, Mexican cheese, lettuce and a dollop of sour cream. If you want to substitute the sour cream for something healthier, Greek yogurt makes a great substitute.Print
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, from the can
- 1 tsp. adobo sauce, from the can
- ½ red bell pepper, sliced
- ½ yellow bell pepper, slices
- ½ onion, sliced
- 1 and ½ cup water
- ¾ cup white rice
- 1 tsp. unsalted butter
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lime
Pico de Gallo
- 1 beefsteak tomato, diced (approximately 1 cup)
- 1 jalapeño, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 lime, small
- 2 cups chopped lettuce
- 1 and ½ cups black beans, heated through
- 1 cup frozen corn, cooked
- ¾ cup finely shredded Mexican cheese
- 6 Tbsp. sour cream
- Put chicken in a medium-sized bowl.
- In a blender, put garlic cloves, oil, cumin, oregano, salt, adobo chipotle, and adobo sauce. Blend until well combined.
- Pour over chicken and marinate for 30 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange marinated chicken, bell peppers, and white onion on the baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Cut chicken into cubes.
- To make rice, in a medium pan, combine water, rice, butter, and salt. Cut lime in half and juice one half. Stir it into to the rice. Bring rice to a boil then lower the heat. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked, juice remaining half of the lime then add it to the rice and mix in the cilantro.
- To make pico de gallo, in a medium bowl combine tomato, jalapeño, red onion, and cilantro. Season with salt.
- Cut the second lime in half and juice it then add it to the pico de gallo.
- To make your burrito bowl, start with a scoop of rice in the bottom of the bowl. Add black beans and cubed pieces of chicken with bell peppers and onion. Top it with pico de gallo, cooked corn, lettuce, Mexican cheese, and sour cream.