- 4 medium green tomatoes
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup flour, divided
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Cut the tomatoes into 1/4-inch wide slices. Discard both ends.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and egg. Set aside.
- Add 1/4 cup flour to a plate. On a second plate, add the remaining 1/4 cup flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper, using a fork or whisk to combine.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a medium-large cast iron or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Dredge each tomato slice in the plain flour, then in the buttermilk/egg mixture, then in the flour/cornmeal mixture.
- Fry each tomato slice for about 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown, in two batches. Place each tomato slice on a paper towel lined plate to absorb the extra oil, in a single layer to avoid sogginess. Serve immediately.