- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced into half moons
- 20 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp. salt
- 24 oz. vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups bread crumbs (baguette)
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- ¼ tsp. black pepper (or to taste)
- Heavy whipping cream
- Heat butter and oil over medium heat in a heavy pot or dutch oven. Add onions, garlic and salt to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes. Add broth, bread crumbs and thyme to the pot, and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove thyme leaf stems and, using an immersion blender (or working in batches with a traditional blender), blend soup until smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a drizzle of whipping cream.