- 1 oz. dried porcini mushrooms*
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 pints sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup flour
- 3 cups beef broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp. sherry (optional)
- Add the water and dried mushrooms to a small, heat-proof bowl. Let sit for 20 minutes, until the mushrooms are soft.
- Remove the mushrooms from the bowl, reserving the liquid. Roughly chop the mushrooms.
- Heat the butter and oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the porcini mushrooms, cremini mushrooms, and sliced onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in the garlic and salt and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms. Stir well to coat.
- Slowly whisk in the beef broth and the reserved mushroom liquid.
- Use an immersion blender to gently puree the soup, leaving some chunks for texture.
- Stir in the cream. Gently simmer the soup for 10 minutes, or until warmed through and slightly thickened.
- Stir in the sherry, if using.
If you don’t want to use porcini mushrooms, increase the broth to 4 cups. Do not use any additional cremini mushrooms.