I know, I know. It’s that green stuff no one likes. Bet you haven’t had creamed spinach like this before. Nothing canned or frozen here. Give it a try. You’ll love it.
Creamed spinach is pretty much relegated to autumn and Thanksgiving, but why? I’d say it’s because that token dish just doesn’t taste as great when you buy it frozen.
There’s nothing like good ol’ homemade creamed spinach. Sure, you can buy the premade frozen variety like most people do, but honestly, there’s nothing like making creamed spinach completely from scratch. You’re going to LOVE this version way better.
This is such a simple dish to make from scratch – tender cooked spinach mixed with a deliciously creamy and savory sauce – that once you try the real deal you’re going to make it all year long. Everyone’s going to wonder what your secret is. And it’s simple – fresh wholesome ingredients.Print
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 3 lb. fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, melt olive oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Sauté for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the spinach. Cook until wilted and dry, about 5 minutes. If you don’t cook the spinach until dry, it will become mushy. Be patient.
- Reduce the heat. Sprinkle evenly with flour. Stir.
- Stir in the heavy cream, Parmesan, and nutmeg. Cook with spinach until the sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.