The most comforting homemade macaroni and cheese recipe, using heavy cream and cream cheese to make the creamiest version you have ever tried!
There’s just something about a big, creamy pot of mac and cheese that makes everything seem right with the world.
But what does it take to make the creamiest bowl of cheesy macaroni? A couple things: using heavy whipping cream in place of milk and adding in a bit of cream cheese.
Here’s A Video Showing How To Make Creamiest Mac And Cheese:
What Kind Of Cheese Should I Use?
Sharp cheddar cheese is the best way to go for cheese, and I also like to add just a tad of another cheese for a balance of flavors. Mozzarella is a good basic one, and Parmesan is another option to add a bit of a nutty flavor. Just a little goes a long way.
This recipe is super simple to whip up on the stove and then it’s ready to go. No need to cook it casserole-style in the oven – that would add a crunchy layer on top and take away from the creamy style.
If you find this pasta ends up being TOO creamy (is that a thing?!) then you can always add a little bit of regular milk or water to thin the cheese out a little bit.Print
- 8 oz. elbow macaroni pasta
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 and ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 oz. cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- In a large pot, cook macaroni according to package instructions and drain.
- Meanwhile, in a medium pot melt butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour. Whisk until smooth.
- Slowly add the heavy cream while whisking continuously to prevent lumps. Stir for a couple more minutes, until thickened.
- Add cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, cream cheese, salt, and pepper to cream mixture and whisk until melted.
- Pour cheese mixture over the drained pasta and mix until evenly coated. Taste and stir in more salt and pepper, if desired.
Love this recipe? I’d appreciate it if you could scroll down and add a *5 star rating* to help others know they’ll love it as well!