Creamy Mushroom Chicken is full of flavor and comes together in less than an hour. It’s perfect to serve over rice or pasta, or alongside mashed potatoes.
This recipe has a creamy sauce made with heavy cream, onions, garlic, and mushrooms that will be a go-to for weeknights. It’s such a cozy meal that it’s perfect to serve in colder weather. Keep this one in your back pocket for when you need a quick meal!
What kind of chicken should you use?
You can use either boneless, skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs. If you decide to use chicken thighs, be sure to unroll each one to make them into a fillet to brown both sides.
For chicken breasts, you’ll want to cut each piece lengthwise to make smaller fillets. It’ll be like butterflying the chicken breast, but cutting through all the way. That’ll help each piece cook through more evenly without having to pound them thin.
Do you need to use the flour?
It isn’t required, but the flour helps both with adding a brown and crispy exterior as well as helps thicken the sauce.
To make this dish gluten-free, you can use gluten-free flour or can skip coating the chicken in flour and use a cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce instead. If you do the latter, you’ll mix together one tablespoon of cornstarch to one tablespoon of water in a small bowl then add to the simmering sauce. It should thicken after a few minutes.
What kind of mushrooms should you use?
Regular button or baby bella mushrooms are perfect for this dish. Getting pre-sliced mushrooms helps cut down on time spent preparing the meal as well which is important during weeknights!
What can you serve this with?
You can serve it on its own with a side salad or with your favorite starch such as rice, pasta, egg noodles, or potatoes to create a full meal.
If you’d like a vegetarian meal that’s similar or to serve alongside this dish, be sure to try our Creamy Garlic Mushroom Pasta.
Use the Right Kind of Pan
Be sure to use a skillet or cast iron pan that is at least 12 inches wide. This will ensure that you don’t crowd the mushrooms while they are browning. It’ll also be easier to fit in the four chicken fillets with enough room for the mushrooms to simmer around it as well.Print
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp. pepper, divided
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 and 1/2 lbs. chicken breast, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 large onion, diced, about 1 cup
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, ½ teaspoon of the salt, ¼ teaspoon of the pepper, and garlic powder.
- Season chicken breast with seasoned flour and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Once hot, add chicken pieces. Fry until golden brown on both sides, approximately 10 minutes total. Move fillets to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet. Add diced onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add sliced mushrooms and cook until soft, 5 minutes. Season with remaining salt and pepper. Stir in heavy whipping cream and bring to a simmer.
- Add chicken back into the sauce and simmer until the sauce is reduced and the chicken is cooked through. Be sure to check that the chicken is cooked through to 165°F with an instant read thermometer.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Serve warm.