Who’s looking for some Taco Tuesday fun? Fish tacos go on a new journey with an avocado cream sauce that has fresh basil and lemon in it. It’s an amazing combination.
We’re in the middle of a series all about avocados here on The Cookful. It’s been a tasty time. When we were deciding what recipes to include in the series, we did some thinking about dishes that tend to have avocado in them. One thing that kept coming up was tacos. I’m a real sucker for fish tacos so that’s what I’ve gone with here.
Instead of just slicing some avocado and putting it on the tacos though, I decided to do something a bit more special. I made a cold cream sauce to drizzle over everything. To make it, you just put some ingredients, including the avocado, into a food processor or blender and whiz it up. Then I poured it into a ziptop plastic bag, cut a tiny corner off of the bag, and squeezed it into the tacos.
The ingredients in the avocado cream sauce are mostly “normal” for tacos. There’s the avocado and then I used Greek yogurt (instead of sour cream). What’s perhaps unusual is that I also used basil and lemon juice, instead of the more expected cilantro and lime juice. Totally go ahead and use cilantro and lime if you’d like. It’s delicious. I just wanted something different. Mostly, I wanted to show off that avocado is really delicious with basil. Really, really delicious.
- 2 tilapia fillets
- ½ teaspoon lemon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cole slaw mix
- 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. lemon juice, divided
- black pepper
- ⅛tsp. garlic powder
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 4 large fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces, plus more (whole) for garnish
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 4 taco shells, heated according to package instructions
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Arrange fish on a foil-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with lemon pepper. Bake until flaky and cooked through, 10-12 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Meanwhile, measure cabbage, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, ¼ teaspoon salt, black pepper and garlic powder into a medium bowl. Stir. Set aside.
- Into a food processor or blender, put the avocado, basil leaves, Greek yogurt, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Blend until smooth, adding a drizzle of water (start with 1 tablespoon) if it isn’t pureeing easily. Transfer sauce to a plastic bag and cut a tiny bit off of one corner of the bag.
- Drizzle some basil cream sauce into each taco shell. Top with some tilapia and then some cabbage. Drizzle with more basil cream sauce. Garnish with a whole basil leaf to serve.