Yes, you can use flatbread as a base for your salad. And yes! It’s absolutely divine topped with buffalo chicken and grilled Vidalia onions. This series is sponsored by the Vidalia Onion Committee. Vidalia Onions are America’s Favorite Sweet Onion, but you can only get them for a limited time each year! Learn more about the hard-working Georgia growers who bring these onions to life and what makes Vidalias so special at www.vidaliaonion.org.
Can we just talk about how much I love the harmony between grilled Vidalia onions+ flatbread + buffalo chicken?
It’s the ultimate Olympic viewing food. Watching the diving, swimming or even the track and field.
Today’s recipe for a Flatbread Salad with Buffalo Chicken and Grilled Vidalia Onions epitomizes all that is great about these onions. They’re a salad onion that is sweet and delicious on any salad. And they’re fabulous grilled too. Here they’re grilled AND put on a salad.
First we have to start off with the chicken and Vidalia onions. Toss them in a little bit of buffalo sauce and pop them on the grill. When they’re all grilled, sprinkle cheese on your flatbread and place it on the grill. Once the cheese is melted to gold medal standards, top with salad greens, carrots and celery, the grilled chicken and onions and then some ranch dressing.
Serve it up as an appetizer to share with friends. First one to finish their plate gets a gold medal!Print
- 1 medium Vidalia onion
- 5 Tbsp. Buffalo Wing Sauce, divided
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (1/2 lb. total)
- 2 naan breads (9-inch) or pre-baked pizza crusts
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 cups salad greens
- 1 carrot, peeled and then shredded using a potato peeler
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 4 Tbsp. ranch dressing
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat.
- Trim the ends off of the Vidalia onion and peel it. Slice onion into three thick slices. Keep rings intact. Brush onion slices with 1 tablespoon of the wing sauce.
- Brush each chicken breast with 1 tablespoon of wing sauce.
- Grill the three onion slices and the chicken breasts over direct heat, flipping occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and onion slices are blackened, 12-15 minutes. Do not turn off grill.
- Use the remaining 2 tablespoons of wing sauce to brush the chicken and onions again. Let rest while preparing flatbreads.
- Oil one side of each flatbread with ½ teaspoon of olive oil. Put flatbreads oil side down on the grill. Top each with ¼ cup cheese. Grill just until bottom is starting to brown and cheese is melted, 3-4 minutes.
- Cut each flatbread into 8 wedges and arrange each set of 8 on a plate.
- Slice chicken into ½ inch slices. Separate onions into rings, discarding outer rings if they are very blackened. Top each plate of flatbread wedges with 2 cups of salad greens, half of the carrot, half of the celery, 2 tablespoons of ranch dressing and half of the chicken and onion rings.
Photo courtesy of the Vidalia Onion Committee.