- 1 lb. ground beef
- ½ lb. ground pork
- ½2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup packed fresh parsley, chopped
- 8 large mint leaves, chopped
- ½ Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup flour, for rolling
- 2–3 Tbsp. oil, for frying
- In a large mixing bowl, add ground beef, ground pork, breadcrumbs, egg, red onion, garlic, parsley, mint, olive oil, oregano, and salt. Mix well until combined, but try not to over work the meat or else it will get tough.
- Cover with a lid and place in the refrigerator for an hour or more to let the flavors marinate.
- Put flour into a shallow bowl. Remove meat mixture from the refrigerator and use a tablespoon as a scoop to form into small meatballs. Roll meatballs in the flour, making sure they are completely covered, and shake off any excess.
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Heat a large cast iron or heavy-duty skillet over medium heat. Add oil and let it get hot.
- Place some meatballs in a single layer, spreading out evenly, and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and cooked through. You will probably have to do this in 2-3 batches depending on how big your pan is. As you cook subsequent batches, put already cooked meatballs on a cookie sheet in the oven to stay warm.
- Serve with tzatziki and pita for a wonderful appetizer or cook into a main dish.