- Optional vegetables*
- 3 (15 oz.) canned green peas, drained (or 32 oz. frozen green peas, defrosted)
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken stock, plus more to thin out the soup, if desired
- 7 oz. canned ham (or other ham), finely diced
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. dry thyme leaves
- ¼ tsp. coarse black pepper
- Put the peas into a large saucepan or Dutch oven along with the stock, ham, garlic powder, salt, thyme, and black pepper.
- Heat over medium-high heat until it reaches a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes to blend flavors.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the pea mixture until it’s smooth (or until it’s the texture you’d like. You can alternately do this in batches in a blender.
- Taste the soup. Add more stock if you’d like it thinner. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
*If you have any of the following, saute them in 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in the soup pot, stirring occasionally, until softened, prior to adding the other ingredients: 1 small onion (chopped), 2 carrots (shredded), 2 ribs celery (finely chopped).