- 6–6 inch wooden skewers
- ½ of a 3 lb. butternut squash (the narrower top half), peeled
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. grape seed or vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 6–1 in. thick sea scallops (about 1/2 lb.)
- 12 medium-sized basil leaves
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- ⅛ tsp. black pepper
- Put skewers in water to soak.
- Cut the squash into 12 cubes. Put in a medium saucepan with ½ tsp. salt and the sugar and add water just to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook until a skewer goes through the middle easily, 4-7 minutes. Drain. Toss gently with the oil.
- Preheat the grill for direct grilling over medium heat. Toss the scallops in the butter.
- Onto a soaked skewer thread a cube of squash, a basil leaf, a scallop and then another basil leaf and another cube of squash. Repeat with remaining skewers. Grill until scallops are just cooked through, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine the yogurt, garlic, lemon zest, chopped basil, black pepper, and ⅛ teaspoon of salt. Serve the skewers with the dip.