- 1 and ½ cups whipping cream
- ⅓ cup packed chopped fresh basil
- Rind of 1 lemon, removed in strips
- 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar (confectioner’s sugar)
- 1 lb. package of strawberries (about 24), hulled
- 6 skewers
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 12 oz. Angel Food Cake (store-bought or homemade)
- At least four hours before serving, combine the whipping cream, basil, and lemon rind in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until warm, 1 to 1 and ½ minutes. Stir. Refrigerate until very cold, at least 4 hours. Strain and refrigerate cream for up to 24 hours.
- Use a stand mixer or egg beater at medium speed to whip the cream for 2-3 minutes. Add the powdered sugar. Whip until soft peaks form, 4-6 minutes more. Refrigerate until serving.
- Prepare grill for direct cooking over medium heat. Cut angel food cake into 6 wedges.
- Thread 4 strawberries onto each skewer. Drizzle each skewer of strawberries with 1 teaspoon of honey. Use a brush or fingers to spread it around and coat berries.
- Transfer berry skewers and angel food cake to the grill. Grill on one side until grill marks appear, 1-2 minutes. Flip and grill until grill marks appear on the other side, 1-2 minutes more. Remove from grill.
- Serve each slice of angel food cake with a skewer of grilled strawberries and about ½ cup of whipped cream.