Hot Chocolate in a mug. But wait, it’s a cake!
Making Microwave Mug Cake
Yes, that’s right, I make cake in the microwave. Not all the time. Just those times when I’m serious craving it RIGHT NOW. This cake zaps that craving in the butt. I’m telling you, it’s ready in like 5 minutes. How can you beat that?
You just combine your ingredients into a large mug, microwave it for a minute or so (microwaves vary), and then you’ve got a delicious cake for one!
I call it hot cocoa cake because it’s rich and chocolatey and made in a mug. A squirt of whipped cream on top finishes the deal.
Do you want cake? Ready. Set. Go!Print
- 5 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 and 1/2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 and 1/2 Tbsp. packed light brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp. baking soda
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. milk
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/3 cup whipped cream (from a can or made from whipping cream, I prefer unsweetened here)
- In a large microwave-safe coffee mug combine the dry ingredients. Add the milk, oil and vanilla and stir to combine.
- Microwave on high power for 1 minute. Microwaves vary: If a fork stuck in comes out with soft crumbs rather than uncooked dough, you’re all set (and so is the cake).
- Top with the whipped cream and garnish with a dash of cinnamon or some chocolate shavings.
This post originally appeared in December 2015 and was revised and republished in December 2022.