Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
Freshly churned homemade Strawberry Ice Cream is sure to hit the spot on hot summer days. Just ask your family.
The rumors are true. Homemade ice cream is way better than store bought. And while making ice cream at home might seem scary, I can assure you it’s not. In fact, with the right tool, homemade strawberry ice cream is a breeze – a creamy, dreamy breeze that goes perfectly with Strawberry Crisp or Strawberry Pie à la mode. After just one taste, you’ll never buy strawberry ice cream from the store again.
The key to getting the ice cream creamy is a mixture of heavy whipping cream and half and half. Together, these create a luscious and creamy texture that is complemented by chunks of strawberries in every bite. The only thing that could possibly make this better is also making vanilla and chocolate ice cream for homemade Neapolitan ice cream.
This is a churned ice cream, which means you will need an ice cream maker. And if you don’t have one, I highly recommend you invest in one. You won’t be disappointed. (We’ve put this one to the test and love it.)
Strawberry Ice Cream
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours and 30 minutes
- 1 and 1/2 cups hulled and diced strawberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, mix strawberries, sugar and lemon juice. Allow to sit until the strawberries have released their juices, about 15 minutes.
- Mash the mixture with a potato masher, fork or pastry cutter until there are no longer any large strawberry pieces (if you prefer a smooth ice cream, use a blender or food processor instead).
- To the strawberries, add heavy cream, half and half, and vanilla extract. Stir just until combined. Pour the mixture into your ice cream maker, and follow your manufacturer's instructions (mine took about 15-20 minutes to churn).
- Freeze it in an airtight container for 3-4 hours to thicken it up slightly. For best results, allow the ice cream to sit 5-10 minutes to soften before scooping and serving.