Strawberry Pop Tarts are a childhood favorite for so many and you won’t believe how easy they are to make.
Does looking at the ingredients list on a Pop Tart box make you cringe? There’s good news. You no longer need to buy those polydextrose (what is that?!) filled pastries from the grocery store. You can make your own. And it’s EASY. You’re welcome.
What Do I Need To Make Pop Tarts?
The key to these simple homemade strawberry pop tarts is premade pie dough and store-bought jam. If you really want to overachieve, you could make your dough and jam (you’ll want to use this recipe for Homemade Strawberry Jam), but there’s no need. With a simple roll of the pie dough, a dollop of jam, and an egg wash, you’re on your way to eating the best Strawberry Pop Tart of your life!
But what is a pop tart without frosting? Heavy cream and powdered sugar give these pop tarts a sugary glaze. And don’t forget the kids’ favorite sprinkles.Print
- ½ cup plus 1 Tbsp. strawberry jam, divided
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 2 whole pre-made pie crusts
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp. heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. In a small bowl, mix ½ cup jam with cornstarch. Crack the egg into a second small bowl and whisk.
- Flour a large work surface and lay one pie crust out on it. Roll out to 11 inches across. Use a knife or pizza cutter to cut the edges off to create a square – this should be 9 inches on each side. Then cut the square into three 3-inch strips. Repeat with second pie crust. Use the scraps that you trimmed off each square to create two more 3-inch by 9-inch strips.
- Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of jam on one end of each strip. Brush a rectangle of egg around the jam to glue the crust sides together. Fold the dry end over the end with jam. Use a fork to crimp the edges together on all sides. Repeat with remaining pie crust strips. Move the pop tarts to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15–18 minutes, until golden. Cool.
- After the pop tarts have cooled for 5-10 minutes, whisk powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon jam, and 1-2 tablespoons cream together to create an icing glaze. Spoon over the top of each pop tart and immediately sprinkle with sugar sprinkles. Let the icing set.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Reheat leftovers in the oven or microwave, not in a toaster.
This post originally appeared in June 2018 and was revised and republished in April 2022.