- 1 small Vidalia onion, chopped
- 2 peaches, pitted and chopped into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1 fresh red chili pepper, seeded and then minced
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- 3 wieners
- 3 dinner rolls
- 3 Tbsp. yellow mustard
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat.
- In a medium bowl combine Vidalia onion, peaches, chili pepper, lime juice and cilantro.
- In a small bowl combine mustard, honey and chili powder.
- Use a knife to split each wiener open lengthwise but do not cut all the way through. Cut each wiener in half widthwise to create 6 mini wieners.
- Grill wieners over direct heat, flipping occasionally, until browned and starting to blacken at the edges, 9-12 minutes.
- While wieners cook, make the mini hot dog buns: Set a dinner roll on a cutting board top-side-up. Cut it in half starting with knife on top of the bun and cutting down all the way through the bun. Lay each half cut-side-up and split through the middle, but do not cut all the way through, thus creating a mini split hot dog bun. Repeat with remaining buns.
- Spread each bun with 2 teaspoons of the mustard mixture. Top with a wiener, split side up. Fill the split in the wiener with the Vidalia Peach Salsa.
Recipe by Christine Pittman. Photo courtesy of the Vidalia Onion Committee.